It’s been a busy week here at The Dovetail Agency, most notably thanks to the return of World Travel Market to London. A mecca for the travel industry, each year more than 50,000 people from across the world descend on the ExCeL Centre for three jam-packed days of meetings, navigating the many aisles and more meetings.
For the team at Dovetail, WTM is an enlightening, enthusing experience. Each year we pound the length of the exhibition, soaking up as much knowledge as possible on what’s new, exciting and important to be considering for the following year.We see familiar faces, meet many new ones, pick up bags and bags of information and leave reminded as to why we love this industry quite so much.
This uniting of fellow-minded people creates a buzz you can feel from the moment you enter. It leaves us inspired and with a bucket-list far longer than before. It can seem like a mammoth and slightly daunting event, yet we think there are five essentials that can make all the difference to your WTM experience each year:
1. Download the WTM App: this handy guide allows you to pre-plan your visit. Make a list of exhibitors you need to see, seminars not to miss and be strategic about how you work the floor. You will feel like you achieve a lot more.
2. Bring a portable battery pack for your phone: as per the above point, you will be using it a lot. Whether following the app, making calls, checking emails, or tweeting your excitement about being there, it’s wise to have a back-up battery plan.
3. Take a strong bag: even in these days of technology, the majority of exhibitors will be reliant on paper information. With brochures, maps, guides which are all useful reference points for the coming months, you will need to get them home in one-piece.
4. Plan for lunch earlier than you might usually: lunchtime becomes a rush of long queues and no tables, despite the great facilities at ExCeL. Slip out early to bag a seat and to be able to head back onto the floor while everyone else is going out for easier movement around.
5. Wear comfortable shoes: we clocked in more than 25,000 steps in one day. The hard concrete floor is unforgiving, so this is one occasion where happy feet are key.